5/11/2008

Happy Mother's Day

In my last post, there's a picture of Tristan talking on the phone with Daddy. You may have noticed that his eyes looked watery. That's because he was developing conjunctivitis ("pink eye"). The watering got worse, then he started having lots of thick discharge from both eyes. Called the doc yesterday, and they diagnosed it over the phone, and called in antibiotic eye drops.



Along with the conjunctivitis, he also has some major congestion, which I've read often goes along with this disorder. His eyes are running, his nose is running, and he just looks miserable. Poor kid. So last night, I decided to let him sleep in my bed. He's always been a rough sleeper, so I was kicked all night long. Then, around midnight, my throat started hurting. It quickly developed into pretty severe pain. By this morning, I couldn't swallow, and felt like I had a plum stuck in my throat. Didn't get much sleep. Then, Logan's internal alarm clock (how exactly do you turn those off?!?) went off at 5:50 am. Got up, put Logan in the playpen, started myself on antibiotics for what I'm pretty sure is strep throat, then went in to give Tristan his eyedrops. That's when I realized he had a pretty major "accident" in my bed last night. He hasn't wet the bed in months! Darnit! And I just washed all the sheets yesterday. Got Tristan up, stripped the wet clothes off him, the wet sheets off the bed, washed him, started washing machine, redressed Tristan, moved him to the couch, gave him his eyedrops, got a now crying Logan out of the playpen, changed his diaper, put him back in the playpen, and wondered, "Can I go back to bed now?" Instead, I heated up a cup of coffee in my "Mommy's Mug", which Tristan gave me last year.



Well, fast forward a couple of hours. I've now had 2 cups of coffee. When I put Logan down for his nap, he reached out for his favorite teddy bear, pulled it in close, and immediately closed his eyes. How sweet!



Then I put Tristan in the bathtub, to make sure he was really clean after his accident. (I'd only washed him with a warm washcloth earlier.) Well, he's happily playing in the tub, when he suddenly starts singing....


"Elvira, Elvira
My heart's on fire Elvira
Giddy Up Oom Poppa Omm Poppa Mow Mow
Giddy Up Oom Poppa Omm Poppa Mow Mow"


This is an old Oakridge Boys song that came on the classic country radio station in the car several weeks ago. I remember it from when I was a child, and so I was happily singing along that day. Well, Tristan remembered the song! He got the lyrics and the tune just right. I asked him if he liked that song. He said, "Yes, I do! That's a silly song!" Then he sang it for me again. (If you've never heard the song, you should check it out at http://youtube.com/watch?v=9VJ6RUmlbLE - it's a classic!)

It's amazing to me how God knows what I need, when I need it. Today is Mother's Day. I especially love church on Mother's Day - they give all the moms flowers! Then, we were supposed to go over to my parents house for a meal later, to celebrate. I was really looking forward to it, especially since Matt isn't here. Instead, we're stuck at home, with 2/3 of us sick. It would be sooooo easy for me to start thinking "poor me". But God used both of my children to remind me how blessed I am. I love Tristan & Logan so much! And I love how they can always make me smile, even when everything isn't going "my way". Thank you, God, for my beloved family! It truly is a Happy Mother's Day at my house!

2 comments:

Becke' said...

Happy Mother's Day! You are amazing...doing lots of parenting on your own. If it makes you feel better, I forgot to get my flower at church today!

Harrington Family said...

Wow! Our day could have been the same! God is so good!