7/14/2008

Swim Lessons: Take 2

Quite a while ago, I posted about Tristan's swim lessons. The first one went great. The second one - eh, not so good. The third was a nightmare. Why? Because they were group lessons, and Tristan is a 3-year-old boy. There was one teacher, with 6 kids, for 45 minutes. I did the math, and that meant that Tristan was getting the teacher's direct attention for just over 7 minutes per lesson. The rest of the lesson, he was supposed to sit still, pay attention, wait his turn, and not drown. By the third lesson, it was obvious that it wasn't going to work out. We dropped out of the class, and I lost my $50, since they don't offer refunds.



I was really disappointed, though. I grew up loving water & swimming, and it's really important to me that my kids feel the same way. So I decided to try private swim lessons. I'd seen a girl at the pool teaching individual lessons, and the kids she taught all seemed to do really well. I had a talk with her, signed Tristan up, paid the (exorbitant) fees, and they started last week.




In the very first lesson, Tristan was already ahead of where he had been after 3 group lessons. Thank goodness, since again, they don't offer refunds! These lessons are only 30 minutes each, but they are one-on-one, so he gets all the attention, all the time. That works much better for him. (Like, duh!) Plus, if I do the math, private lessons are actually a better deal. He's getting more quality time for my money. We're both excited about swim lessons now! I've signed him up for 12 lessons. Katie is really good with Tristan, and I can't wait to see what he'll be able to do by the end of their lessons. This video is from his 2nd lesson with Katie.





1 comment:

Jenny said...

Oooo.. that's super cool. You'll have to give me some info on the lessons. Where are you taking him and I wonder if I could sign the boys up for individual lessons. We just finished group lessons for Andrew and it did help but I wasn't too pleased. The teacher pretty much spent most of her time dealing with behavior issues and not much time teaching:(.