7/31/2008

Sickness & Kindness

Late Tuesday afternoon, Tristan started throwing up. Poor kid. He was projectile vomiting all over the house. By bedtime, he had thrown up on most everything in the living room. All the couch throw pillows, and the covers for the couch cushions, had been in the washer. I had cleaned puke off the chair and the floor, my clothes & his hair. Ugh!

But even in the midst of all that, we had a really sweet moment. I was feeding Tristan ice chips, and rubbing his back, while he lay on the floor. I told him that when I was a little girl, Grandmommy would feed me ice chips & rub my back when I was sick. He said, "That's right, because Grandmommy is your mommy. So she taught you how to take care of me when I'm sick." Awwwww. I almost cried. There's something powerful in doing for your children what was once done for you. Thanks, Mom, for all the times you patiently & lovingly cared for me when I was sick. You always knew just how to make me feel better. Actually, you still do, come to think of it. I love you, Mom!!

Tristan was supposed to have swim lesson at 5:30 yesterday, but I called Katie to cancel. He hadn't thrown up since early that morning, but I just didn't want to take the chance of him throwing up in the pool. That probably wouldn't make us very popular at the gym! Katie said we could reschedule for Friday instead, and said she hoped Tristan got better soon. Well, a couple of hours later, she called me back. She said she'd started thinking about how Matt's gone, and what would I do if I needed something, but couldn't leave the house since Tristan was sick. She asked if there was anything she could do to help us out, or if I need her to pick anything up for us. How sweet is that? I only met Katie about 3 weeks ago, and we only see her for 1 hour a week. But she still thought to ask if we needed any help. Pretty cool, huh?

4 comments:

Ruthie said...

Hope Tristan gets better soon! And, that you or Logan don't get it. It sounds like one of the viruses we've had this month.
Please let us know if you need anything. I know we aren't in Conway, but we're close enough to help if you need it.

Becke' said...

All you have to do is call us up, girl!

the Percifuls said...

I know that, Becke'! In fact, I told Katie thank you soooo much for thinking of us, but that I had a great support group of friends & family to help me out if I needed anything. :)

Jenny said...

That is soooo sweet! What a servant's heart she has.

I echo... "anything you need, let us know".