2/03/2009

Sleep Apnea

Several years ago, I had a sleep test performed at Saint Vincent. They diagnosed me with sleep apnea, which means that you stop breathing repeatedly during sleep. Each time, your body jolts you partially awake, to cause you to start breathing again. Way back then, the doctor prescribed a CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machine for me. It's something you wear while sleeping that continually forces air into your nose, to keep you breathing consistently. I haven't actually used it the past few years, but lately I've been so very tired. I'm pretty certain that sleep apnea is once again disturbing my sleep. So tonight I dug out all the parts of the machine, and was delighted to find that it still works. I'm going to start using it again immediately. So if I'm extremely perky and rested next week, you'll all know why. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

1 comment:

Ruthie said...

Good luck! Stuart uses one of these, too. He doesn't have to use it every night, but if he goes too long without it, you can really tell the difference. Hope it makes a big difference for you.